Please join us in congratulating Alan for receiving an OAM (Medal of the Order of Australia) for Service to the Decorative and Fine Arts in the 2022 Queen’s Birthday Honours list.
Alan’s life has been intertwined with antiques for more than 4 decades:
‘My philosophy in life has always been to share knowledge and enthusiasm, and as such I owe this great honour to many people. I have always been passionate about the Powerhouse Museum and Decorative Arts institutions; Equally, I am very enthusiastic about helping charities raise funds for important causes, and encouraging learning and the collection of beautiful objects. Having acted as an Honorary Curator to the Sydney Jewish Museum since its inception in 1979 brings me both pride and joy.”
Alan’s contributions span the decades and involve many significant societies and associations, as well as fulfilling additional honorary roles.
Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences (Powerhouse Museum)
– Life Fellow, since 2005.
– Honorary Associate and Advisor – ceramics, glass, since 1982.
– Benefactor, President’s Circle, decorative arts collection, 1977-2005.
– Life Member.
The Wedgwood Society of New South Wales
– President, 1984-1985.
– Vice-President, 1977-1978.
– Editor, 1984.
– Founding Member, since 1976.
– Member, and Lecturer, Wedgwood International Seminar, USA, current.
Australian Antique and Art Dealers Association
– Past President, Antique Dealers Association of NSW.
– Member, and Lecturer, current.
The Ceramic Collectors Society
– Past Vice President.
– Past Committee Member.
– Member, and Lecturer, since c1970s.
The Silver Society of Australia Inc
– Past Secretary.
– Founding Member, 1988.
Australiana Society Inc
– Contributor, ‘Australiana’ magazine.
– Founding Member and sponsor, since 1970s.
Additional honorary roles
– Cinoa Advisor, and Honorary Curator, National Trust of NSW, current.
– Advisor and Consultant, Historic Houses Trust, current.
– Advisor and Consultant, Australiana Fund, current.
– Member, and Lecturer, Australian Decorative and Fine Arts Societies Sydney, current.
– Organiser, valuation days for the National Trust, the Red Cross and the Salvation Army.
– Contributor, Australian Dictionary of Biography.
– Benefactor, Cranbrook (Anglican) School, Sydney, 2003.
Photo credit AAADA